About Me

My photo
For five years I went through hell and back to become a Mummy! I had three miscarriages from natural pregnancies, five IUI attempts, five IVF attempts, and three operations to remove endometriosis, a polyp and a fibroid. I have been with my 'almost perfect' Husband since 2003. We married in 2009 on Valentine's Day and we are extremely happy together. I decided to start a blog because I needed to write down my thoughts and feelings to show myself and others how I was never going to give up until we got our forever baby.

Since having my baby, I'm inspired to create: Baby Blankets by Me & Mum

Friday 28 December 2012

A Pregnant Christmas - 24 weeks!

I have been so excited and wishing the days away until 25th December when our baby would be 24 weeks and what is classed as 'viable'. 
24 weeks is the cutoff point for when many doctors will use intensive medical intervention to attempt to save the life of a baby born prematurely including doing a cesarean section. Between 23 and 24 weeks is a "gray zone" where most doctors would not intervene. And below 23 weeks doctors are unlikely to do a cesarean section for fetal reasons and most neonatologist will not resuscitate a baby born before 23 weeks, and many won't resuscitate a baby born between 23-24 weeks.
A baby born at 24 weeks would generally require a lot of intervention, potentially including mechanical ventilation and other invasive treatments followed by a lengthy stay in a neonatal intensive care unit (NICU).
Odds of survival increase as the pregnancy progresses, and even an extra week in the womb can make a difference. In general, premature babies born closer to 37 weeks will be much better off than those born before 28 weeks.
http://www.babymed.com/prematurity/pregnancy-viability-what-does-it-mean

 So when Christmas Day came I woke up and couldn't stop smiling and shed a few tears of happiness. We got lots of present for baby too as well as lovely cards:


 
From Marshie to Daddy          From Marshie to Mummy

To Mummy & Daddy from a good friend

 

 

  
 
  

We also went for our latest scan and consultant appointment and all is good. Baby is measuring on the 50 percentile so not too big or small!


 

My placenta is still lying low but there is plenty of time for it to move up. So I'm feeling good apart from heartburn but Gaviscon and Rennies are my new best friends!



No comments:

Post a Comment