About Me

My photo
For five years I went through hell and back to become a Mummy! I had three miscarriages from natural pregnancies, five IUI attempts, five IVF attempts, and three operations to remove endometriosis, a polyp and a fibroid. I have been with my 'almost perfect' Husband since 2003. We married in 2009 on Valentine's Day and we are extremely happy together. I decided to start a blog because I needed to write down my thoughts and feelings to show myself and others how I was never going to give up until we got our forever baby.

Since having my baby, I'm inspired to create: Baby Blankets by Me & Mum

Monday 7 November 2011

First Scan (5weeks4days)

Our scan was booked for 2.45pm today and as the time drew nearer it became harder to remain calm. This was not helped by the fact that the hospital was so busy that we couldn't even drive into it for ages, let alone get to the car park and park! We were 15mins late and I was totally stressing and out of breath but Hubby let me swear a lot before we got in there to let off steam and we laughed!

We had to wait about 30mins and in the meantime we were watching the nurses and we were hoping not to get a particular one as she spoke to everyone quite patronizingly and bossy. But guess what - we got her!
She actually called me over with a hand gesture that was quite abrupt - me and Hubby just laughed.



The nurse asked when my last period was and pointed out that I'm not quite 6 weeks and so we shouldn't expect to see a lot and I agreed. She said she'd look around first but after a couple of seconds the scanner stopped and Hubby said later that he could see the sac straight away.


The nurse said she could see the sac and the yolk sac, and at this point I practically screamed "can I have a picture" - I was panicking as she was so fast! As I pleaded I missed a bit of what she had said but Hubby heard her say "there's the fetal pole". We were both amazed by her next words "and there is a flicker of a heartbeat" She turned the screen and with her thumbnail showed me the exact point and I could just about see it, a pixel turning black and white on the screen.
As Hubby and I tried not to cry, the nurse had a quick look at my ovaries and then it was over. Hubby reckons she scanned me for less than 2 minutes! No measurement or a proper look BUT I did get my photo!
Click image for larger version

Name: first scan 3.jpg
Views: 0
Size: 36.3 KB
ID: 292729 Click image for larger version

Name: first scan 1.jpg
Views: 0
Size: 42.7 KB
ID: 292731

I also got a prescription for 2 weeks of steroids and a note for my GP to prescribe the rest and a letter handing me over to my GP.

I have written a letter to my new GP enclosing those documents and telling her how well the scan went but also that to wait until 12weeks for a scan would be too stressful for me so can she get me another one soon please - worth a try!



Hubby and I are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment