About Me

My photo
For five years I went through hell and back to become a Mummy! I had three miscarriages from natural pregnancies, five IUI attempts, five IVF attempts, and three operations to remove endometriosis, a polyp and a fibroid. I have been with my 'almost perfect' Husband since 2003. We married in 2009 on Valentine's Day and we are extremely happy together. I decided to start a blog because I needed to write down my thoughts and feelings to show myself and others how I was never going to give up until we got our forever baby.

Since having my baby, I'm inspired to create: Baby Blankets by Me & Mum

Tuesday 9 August 2011

Dr Husband at your service!

My Hubby is great when it comes to anything medical. A few years back I had to have my wisdom teeth removed under sedation and I was petrified that I had to be awake while they were yanking out my teeth! So the hospital let my Hubby come into the room with me - he was great and held onto me, well that was until he said "Can you feel anything?" and I said "only you squeezing my toe off my foot!"
So when it comes to IVF my Hubby loves to play Doctor. He's very precise with the needles and not even the tiniest of air bubbles is going anywhere near me when he's around. So what happens when he's not around?

Well during my 1st ever cycle Hubby did the jabs until he had to go away for work. The night before he went he made me do them with him supervising, so that I was all ready when alone. We also had a DVD and an instruction leaflet I could refer to if I needed to. So it came to the allotted jabbing hour 9pm and I got everything ready. I went to inject and I realised that the syringe was only half full - how did this happen? I thought back to everything I had done in preparation and I couldn't work out where I'd gone wrong, so I injected it anyway. Then I sat around worrying until it hit me - I hadn't flicked the top of the water vial and half of the water was it the top part that you break off! Oh no - surely now I'd given myself a stronger dose, what would happen? Would I be ok? I rang the out of hours number that the clinic give you and it put me through to the gyny ward at the hospital - I started crying on the phone to the nurse as I told her what I'd done. And did I get reassurance? "Well it's done now, just remember to flick the top of the water vial in future"! Thanks!

Obviously I was ok and you'd think that would have taught me a lesson but oh no - there are many more episodes like that! Take this morning for instance. I'm on my 4th IVF cycle and Dr Hubby is away but went through the injections with me again yesterday. So this morning I get the first needle and get rid of the air bubbles and stick it in me and think wow I'm really getting good at these, that hardly hurt at all. Then I realise that I hadn't set it to the right amount and I had to pull it out, set it and jab again! Then I remembered that I should have put a new needle on the syringe to jab again! So I'm sitting here with a very stingy tummy after the three rather than two jabs! I'm also planning to make sure that Dr Hubby is around for all my gestone injections as these are done with a bigger needle in the bum - I don't want to get them wrong!

No comments:

Post a Comment