About Me

My photo
For five years I went through hell and back to become a Mummy! I had three miscarriages from natural pregnancies, five IUI attempts, five IVF attempts, and three operations to remove endometriosis, a polyp and a fibroid. I have been with my 'almost perfect' Husband since 2003. We married in 2009 on Valentine's Day and we are extremely happy together. I decided to start a blog because I needed to write down my thoughts and feelings to show myself and others how I was never going to give up until we got our forever baby.

Since having my baby, I'm inspired to create: Baby Blankets by Me & Mum

Monday 15 August 2011

Egg Collection

We couldn't sleep last night - nerves and excitement! It was nearly midnight before we dropped off and we had to get up at 6.20am. So, tired but ready we made our way to the clinic for 8am.

I was in the 2nd cubical, which meant I would be 2nd into theatre. There were only 3 couples in for EC today and I heard through the curtains that this was the other 2 couples 1st go! Not like us old pro's on our 4th.

I filled in the paper work and got dressed into my lovely hospital gown. Soon the anesthetist came to see me, Hubby told him that I need to be told exactly when he is putting me to sleep as I don't like it and may panic. Then I was given 2 oral anti-biotics to take and one rectal anti-B along with a rubber glove to insert in the privacy of the loo.

Next I sat reading The Secret when my favourite Dr came to speak to me as he would be doing the procedure, and then my favourite nurse arrived and said she was the theatre nurse today!

Hubby had brought his pocket video camera! It is a HD one and so he got some lovely close ups of me with no make-up on etc but luckily he wasn't there when I first came around from the anesthetic - he was busy doing his bit!

The first lady went in and was back in less than half an hour and then it was my turn. I kissed Hubby and walked off to theatre. In the theatre the anesthetist was as good as his word and told me exactly what he was doing 1. flushing water through to make sure the tube was in the right place 2. injecting a pain killer 3. injecting the anesthetic. He told me to close my eyes and think nice thoughts but I opened them about 3 times to prove I wasn't asleep yet (the nurse told me later I shocked them!).

So I woke up a bit later in pain, well 45 mins, as the Dr had nicked my cervix which bled and they had to put a stitch in - not part of the plan! The nurse came with pain killers and told me that we had 5 eggs. We were ok with this - a handful could be enough if they all fertilise.

Hubby went and collected the steroids from the hospital pharmacy so we have them ready to start at embryo transfer - well these are the official 20mg ones. Then the nurse showed us how the gestone jabs were to be done - they are intra-muscular, jabbed in the thigh muscle, and do you know what, it wasn't that bad.

A cup of tea, several glasses of water, 2 biscuits, chocolate buttons and a packet of starburst later and I was good to go.

I was the last to leave because of the bleed but apart from feeling a bit weak and tired I'm fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment