About Me

My photo
For five years I went through hell and back to become a Mummy! I had three miscarriages from natural pregnancies, five IUI attempts, five IVF attempts, and three operations to remove endometriosis, a polyp and a fibroid. I have been with my 'almost perfect' Husband since 2003. We married in 2009 on Valentine's Day and we are extremely happy together. I decided to start a blog because I needed to write down my thoughts and feelings to show myself and others how I was never going to give up until we got our forever baby.

Since having my baby, I'm inspired to create: Baby Blankets by Me & Mum

Sunday 7 August 2011

Immunes

Stim day 5 tomorrow and I have my first scan to see how the follicles and womb lining are doing. Also I will be starting steroids. The steroids are to help combat higher than normal levels of Natural Killer Cells. I haven't been tested for this but because I have had 2 miscarriages and 3 failed IVF cycles it is a possibility that this could be the problem. So one basic treatment is steroids - prednisolone in my case. (It may be that I have other immune problems but the tests cost a lot of money and are quite controversial.)

"There is currently much debate going on in the scientific community about the role of the immune system in promoting or preventing a healthy pregnancy. There is a view pioneered by late Dr Alan Beer that the products of an activated immune system could damage the placenta and cause miscarriage, as well as damage the embryo and cause implantation failure. Natural killer cells, which help to keep the body from developing cancer, can over-populate the uterus or exist at too high levels within the blood stream. These cells then go overboard, killing the embryo or interfering with the endocrine system that produces the hormones that are essential for pregnancy." 
http://www.fertility-academy.co.uk/recurrent-failure/immune-testing-for-infertility/


Now to add to the controversy, I have been told to start taking them from ET but having done my own research, I believe that taking them sooner will be more beneficial. My research is of many cycles by other ladies undergoing immune treatment by various clinics/doctors.

Immune problems and testing are complicated but if you are interested here are a few links of further reading to help out:

Alan E Beer - http://www.repro-med.net/repro-med-site2/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=51&Itemid=31

Dr A Gorgy - http://www.fertility-academy.co.uk/about-us/dr-a-gorgy/

http://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=242395.0

http://www.ivfauthority.com/2011/05/understanding-immunologic-implantation_16.html

No comments:

Post a Comment